Re: Thunderbird and Firefox

On Sat, 3 Nov 2007, Mark Davies wrote:

On Friday 02 November 2007 23:22:23 David Brownlee wrote:

        Updated proposal:

        - Add an option to thunderbird 'thunderbird-open-urls', which
when enabled (by default) will cause thunderbird to default to
opening clicked links in 'openurl'
        - Add an openurl pkg_alternatives(8) wrapper which firefox and
          other web browsers can provide

        So, if a user installs the default thunderbird package,
        and a web browser, clicking on a link in an email will open
        the URL in the web browser. I think this is a critical
        usability point. People building their own thunderbird
        packages can disable the option, but we should not require
        extra steps for the normal case of getting things to work.

        Admins and users can use pkg_alternatives to set system
        wide and their own openurl preferences respectively.

Note that there is some further effect when (possibly some bit of)
gnome is installed.  thunderbird here does fire up a browser when you
click on urls and firefox does fire up a mailer on mailto's and we
don't set anything in prefs.js, rather they pay attention to settings
in the gconf setup.

By default they fire up each other which is annoying here as our
default environment is KDE and just because someone wants to use one
of these doesn't necessarily mean they want to use the other so we
override the defaults to be kmail and konqueror by creating an
appropriate
$PKG_SYSCONFBASE/gconf/gconf.mcs.defaults/desktop/gnome/url-handlers
tree.  This then allows individual users to change their setting by
running gnome-default-applications-properties and setting
appropriately.  Also has the advantage applying to other apps that
use the gconf settings.

Would be nice if changing the KDE preference settings could be made to
(optionally) update the users gconf tree appropriately then our KDE
users wouldn't need to know about
gnome-default-applications-properties but anyway I think KDE 4 and
gnome both using dbus might sort some of that out.

Anyway I don't know if setting the prefs.js values overrides the above
(I suspect it would) but I wouldn't want any changes to the packages
to break the above behaviour.

        Hmm, the two obvious options to having it work out of the box
        would be:
        a) Set default values for url-handlers, potentially just firefox,
           or alternatively any web browser when installed could set
           it
        b) Set the url-handlers to use openurl and let pkg_alternatives
           drive which web browser is used if users want to adjust the
           default. That also makes it easy for KDE and non (KDE/gnome)
           apps to play...