thunderbird failure to clean environment

I found that a user could not read .doc files via soffice by double
clicking on them in thunderbird (up to date from pkgsrc), but could if
she saved them to Desktop.  I wrote a script to unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH
and invoke soffice, and then it worked.

The problem is that thunderbird is leaving both a thunderbird directory
and /usr/pkg/lib (?) in LD_LIBRARY_PATH when it executes programs.  This
is IMHO clearly wrong.  Is anyone else seeing this?  I suspect it tends
to show up on NetBSD more because of using linux-emulation viewers such
as soffice and acrobat.