Pkgsrc zlib vs. base zlib, NetBSD

Hi,

I am trying to get some software (not in pkgsrc) to build using the
pkgsrc version of zlib and not the version found bundled with NetBSD
(which is too old for the included ./configure to work).

The configure script accepts a zlib prefix (/usr/pkg/lib) and makes the
test but it fails to run:

configure:3865: gcc -o conftest  -pipe -I. -D__UNIXSDL__ -D__BSDSDL__
-I/usr/pkg
/lib   conftest.c  -L/usr/pkg/lib -lz >&5
configure:3868: $? = 0
configure:3874: ./conftest
Shared object "libz.so.1" not found
configure:3877: $? = 1
configure: program exited with status 1

I have tried changing the flags to include '-Wl,-rpath,/usr/pkg/lib'
but this just results in the library in /usr/lib being used (which gets
the older version). It seems the -rpath adds the directory to the list
but /usr/lib is still in front of it.

How can I get this to work?

boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail at http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/try_beta?.intl=ca