Re: Bulk packages for Darwin/i386?

On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 07:45:59PM +0200, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:
> how usable is pkgsrc on Darwin/i386 ?

There are definitely people using it and working it. It depends which
packages you need. Mac OS X's general "problem" is that it is "less
Linux compatible" than e.g. NetBSD. The different binary format,
Mach-O instead of ELF, is a source of problems. Only very few people
(if any at all) get building of shared libraries right under Mac OS X.
And even if "libtool" is used there are still problems. Mac OS X's
toolchain will e.g. refuse to create shared libraries with duplicate
or unresolved symbols. The GNU toolchain doesn't complain about such
a problems and they remain undetected under Linux (or NetBSD).

> I see that latest bulk build results from start of March only built
> successfully about half of packages.

Which results are you talking about? I can't find any Darwin-i386 results.
The Darwin-powerppc bulk build managed to build about two thirds of
the packages.

> Anyone actively working on support for this arch, ...

Yes, just look at the "pkgsrc-changes" mailing list archive.

        Kind regards