Re: Opera 9.2, emul/linux32 and amd64 (was: Can't run opera on amd64)

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 02:53:42 +0200, Juan RP <juan%xtrarom.org@localhost> wrote:

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 01:56:14 +0200
"Loic Hoguin" <essen%dev-extend.eu@localhost> wrote:

Hello,

It seems that the fixes for compat/linux32 select timeouts
have been committed. Opera now works pretty well on amd64,
I have been playing with it for some time without problems.

I haven't seen however a fix for the installation under
amd64. To be able to run Opera you must have the 32bit suse
compat packages installed, which is not currently possible
(Nicolas Joly was working on it earlier). Also it seems that
the Opera Makefile must be fixed, as it installs the files
in emul/linux instead of emul/linux32.

Bah... that was pretty easy :-)

http://www.netbsd.org/~xtraeme/linux32.diff

Apply the patch in pkgsrc and put "USE_COMPAT_LINUX32=yes" in /etc/mk.conf.
Install opera... enjoy (I'm just using Opera on my amd64 :-).

I'll try to convert more packages (firefox, nspluginwrapper, etc).

Hmm but what if I need to have linux 32bit emulation (for opera)
AND linux 64bit emulation? USE_COMPAT_LINUX32 won't let me install
both.

I think the best solution is to have separate packages for the
suse ones, but based on the same base. Also, the current ones are
installing suse-32bit if you are running i386, and suse-64bit
if running amd64. Wouldn't it be best to have the current suse
packages install only suse-32bit, and to add new packages for
suse-64bit?

Regards,

--
Loïc Hoguin