Apps that use Cairo at 8 bit depth don't work

Hello all. This seems to be a widely reported problem, but I don't see
any good workarounds or fixes yet. Any time I try to run a graphical
app which uses cairo (which happens to be on vnc since this is the
only way I can run graphical apps on this particular box), I get this:

Error: Cairo 1.4.2 does not yet support the requested image format:
       Depth: 8
       Alpha mask: 0x00000000
       Red   mask: 0x00000007
       Green mask: 0x00000038
       Blue  mask: 0x000000c0
Please file an enhancement request (quoting the above) at:
http://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=cairo
assertion "NOT_REACHED" failed: file "cairo-image-surface.c", line
199, function "_cairo_format_from_pixman_format"
Abort (core dumped)

From what I gather, this is a problem with cairo displaying images at
8 bit color depth?

This just happened recently when I upgraded cairo.

Anyone know a workaround or a fix? I'm hoping the answer isn't "run a
higher color depth".

I'm on the latest cairo package I built from pkgsrc, cairo-1.4.2nb1.

Thanks.

Andy