Re: "black text" fix

On 4/1/07, David Brownlee <abs%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
On Sun, 1 Apr 2007, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 14:15:46 -0400
> "Blair Sadewitz" <blair.sadewitz%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>
>> A while back I filed a PR about the /tmp/.ICE-unix thing.  The
>> workaround is actually the solution AFAIK; see x11/kdelibs3/MESSAGE.
>
> I moved my code to do that to /etc/rc.conf.d/kdm.  Perhaps it should be
> in /etc/rc.d/kdm?
>>
>> Re: TLS; I don't know if there's an option for this, but maybe you
>> could use gnutls instead?
>
> I have no idea how to do that with kde.
>>
>> Modular Xorg in pkgsrc nearing the point where you might consider
>> using it in production; have you considered an upgrade path yet?
>>
> It doesn't support X servers yet, a requirement for that machine.  Nor
> is it a machine I use (and hence can work around problems with), so I'm
> unwilling to put experimental software on it.

        Its been supporting X servers for a while now - I'm running
        xf86-video-ati on my Thinkpad T41p, an Asus 9600 based laptop
        and a shuttle with a 9550, xf86-video-vesa on an X700 based
        laptop, and xf86-video-i810 on an old i810 dell desktop.

        What its lacked has been a meta package to pull in all the
        drivers, but joerg added meta-pkgs/modular-xorg-drivers :)

        Be warned, the ati driver at least leaves the console with
        "extremely dark grey on black text" on exit, though the
        vesa driver is better behaved.

        KDE3 & freevo also seem happy, and just ran a quick scratch
        test of Kmail and it seemed happy to send over TLS (I use
        a different MUA normally)

                by ... with esmtps (TLSv1:AES256-SHA:256)
                (Exim 4.66)
                (envelope-from <...>)
                id 1HY7Fl-0007EW-BC
                for ...; Sun, 01 Apr 2007 22:06:21 +0100

Apply x11/xorg-libs/patches/patch-af to the xf86-video-ati driver
source and make replace.  Thanks jmcneill! :)

This should be added as a patch to xf86-video-ati, IMO.  Even better:
they should fix it upstream.

--Blair

--
Support WFMU-FM: free-form radio for the masses!
<http://www.wfmu.org/>

"The frivolity and boredom which unsettle the established order, the
vague foreboding of something unknown, these are the heralds of
approaching change.  The gradual crumbling that left unaltered the
face of the whole is cut short by a sunburst which, in one flash,
illuminates the features of the new world."  --G.W.F. Hegel,
_Phenomenology of Spirit_ 5:11