Re: kdeadmin - heimdal

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 09:20:54PM +0100, Christian Biere wrote:
> Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>> I forgot to mention ... the reason carbon-copying happens a lot on
>> these NetBSD lists is because these are open lists. So CCing them on
>> the replies helps so they can continue on discussion (versus using
>> web archives).
>
> Probably but it would be nice if there was a standard way to indicate
> "I'm subscribed, no need to CC me". After all email hasn't been
> invented yesterday.  CC'ing may also unnecessarily or unintentionally
> cause that discussions become private which is not constructive if you
> consider web archives.

For those of you reading your mail (or receiving your mail) on a Unix
box, check for procmail and formail, you can set up a simple rule to
eliminate duplicate messages based on message-id:

:0 Wh: msgid.lock
  | /usr/local/bin/formail -D 8192 msgid.cache

I have this as my first procmail rule.

It also keeps me from having to read the same message in multiple
mailing lists when people cc them all over the place.

--
Michael Parson
mparson%bl.org@localhost