Re: [FreeWRT-users] Bootstrap on OS X

On Oct 18, 2006, at 11:30 PM, Waldemar Brodkorb wrote:

Not yet. sorry.

Ok... can  do anything to help you?

There is one big problem with MacOS X. The default root filesystem
on MacOSX is normally HFS+ in case-insensitive mode.

I know. I don't really like it and i hate software that depends on that (i had that one time, program writes "file" and reads "File") but... since i come from the Linux people i like case sensitive filesystems and i run my OS X on it and have it on all my OS X harddisks.

The Linux kernel source needs a case-sensitive filesystem.

There are three options:
- reinstall macosx on a case-sensitive HFS+ partition
- use a usb disk or free partition to create a case-sensitive HFS+
  partition for the buildroot
- use a script to create a imagefile with a case-sensitive
  filesystem

Creating the images is no big deal, you just have to know the command. You don't need a script for that, usually 5-10 lines in the manual are enough. I think, the pkgsrc manual describes how to do that, if you want an example.

The base system compiles fine on BSD. There are some packages which
checks some Linux specific stuff, which do not let you cross-compile
on BSD. (f.e. mysql)

Ok, that's nothing you can easily change, but no big deal as long as you don't depend on the packages.

We will try to finish MacOSX support for 1.1.

Ok. If i find some time and you provide me some help, i can try to play around with it a bit. Is there some documnentation or something like a roadmap online? Last time i looked i did not find anything.

And... before i try to bootstrap... which Accesspoint would you recommend? I own a WRT54G v2, but i can't use it for that. I would be interestes in something with WLAN, USB (2.0 if possible) and 2 or more network ports.

Thanks,
        Philipp