Re: cross compile...

On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 08:18:18PM +0200, Christian Biere wrote:
>Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>> On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 10:04:55 -0400, "George Georgalis"
>> <george%galis.org@localhost>
>> wrote:
>> > I'm able to cross-compile and install world (netbsd) on the cflash
>> > computer from the amd64, over nfs, works great. But it's not clear
>> > how to build packages on the amd64 and install them over nfs on
>> > the i386.
>
>> My understanding is that in general, one can't cross-compile packages
>> across different architectures.

...oh, so the binary packages need to be built on the same machine
they run on... I didn't know that. I imagine this won't change
anytime soon/ever because each package owner would have to make
their package cross-compile-able (at minimum), ugh.

>I guess in this special case (amd64 + i386) you could use Xen
>with a guest domain running NetBSD/i386.

would like to get up to speed on zen sometime.

Thanks,
// George