Re: pkgsrc download / individual strategies?

> Hello,

> I'm very new to pkgsrc. I installed DragonflyBSD and thought about
> exploring pkgsrc instead of the usual binary package approach.

> I like the idea, but I don't have a lot of drive space and most of
> the files will go unused, causing wasted bandwidth, etc..

> Wondering what some strategies are for downloading and updating only
> a subset of packages?

> For example, is there a way to download JUST shells/bash and then
> compile it? (and presumably some way of tracking updates on only
> the things I've installed) I'll never be using any X11 on this machine
> for example.

Somt like this may help

% cd /usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_chk
% make package
% cd /usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_tarup # optional
% make package                      # optional
% cat > /tmp/mypacks
cat1/pack1
cat2/pack2
% pkg_chk -C /tmp/mypacks -a -vk
% pkg_tarup -a `cat /tmp/mypacks` # optional

> Is there a way to tell it NOT to follow any dependancies?
You can disable some "features" globally for all packages.

PKG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS+= -arts -nas -esd -esound

This may remove some dependancies.
Run make show-options to see if any exist.

--
Best regards, Aleksey Cheusov.