pkgsrc download / individual strategies?

Hello,

I'm very new to pkgsrc. I installed DragonflyBSD and thought about
exploring pkgsrc instead of the usual binary package approach.

I like the idea, but I don't have a lot of drive space and most of
the files will go unused, causing wasted bandwidth, etc..

Wondering what some strategies are for downloading and updating only
a subset of packages?

For example, is there a way to download JUST shells/bash and then
compile it? (and presumably some way of tracking updates on only
the things I've installed) I'll never be using any X11 on this machine
for example.

Is there a way to tell it NOT to follow any dependancies? I'd really
rather decide for myself on what to install, kind of scared to
use it if there's a chance it'll install more than I bargained for.

Sorry if these are dumb questions.

Jamie
--
http://www.geniegate.com                    Custom web programming