Re: Firefox and naming issues

[ braindead annoying top-quote repaired ]

It occurred to me that Zafer Aydogan wrote in gmane.os.netbsd.devel.pkgsrc.user:
> 2006/7/20, Lubomir Sedlacik <salo%xtrmntr.org@localhost>:
>> On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 03:48:30PM +0200, Zafer Aydogan wrote:
>> > Yes, but the point is why are both called firefox-bin ?
>> >
>> > I want to see "firefox-bin", when I run the linux emulation,
>> > (therefore -bin) and not, when I run the native firefox.
>> >
>> > If I rename firefox-bin to firefox and patch the startup script
>> > everything is fine.  Then top shows, at least "firefox" and not
>> > "firefox-bin".
>>
>> feel free to complain to the Mozilla Foundation for naming it
>> "firefox-bin" and please take this nonsense out of NetBSD list.
>> thank you.
>
> This list is made for such discussions.

This list is *not* made for these discussions:

1) You have a problem with *firefox*, not with pkgsrc. The actual firefox
   binary is called 'firefox-bin' everywhere, not just on pgksrc. If you have
   a problem with that, you should complain to the Mozilla Foundation, not
   to us (Hm, I just repeated Lubomir's statement. How odd). pkgsrc doesn't
   normally patch functionality. The patches pkgsrc does are either portability
   patches or security patches, but your issue is neither of these, making
   it off-topic.
2) It is a non-existing problem, only arising from the fact that you have
   two different versions of firefox installed. Furthermore, this "problem"
   of yours is applicable to *every* Linux-emulated binary, so picking
   firefox individually is a bit silly. There's a 'cp' in /bin, and there's
   a 'cp' in /usr/pkg/emul/linux/bin. Are you suggesting we rename /bin/cp
   to /bin/cp-native and /usr/pkg/emul/linux/bin/cp to
   ../cp-look-zafer-its-a-linux-binary, breaking *everything* that just calls
   'cp' ? *OFCOURSE* they have the same name, and *OFCOURSE* they end up
   the same in the output of /bin/ps. Maybe it would've been nice if ps
   count distinguish native binaries from binaries running under emulation,
   but that's about it (Hey, that's Greg Toxel's statement. How quaint).
   Changing the behaviour of ps is irrelevant to pkgsrc, so is not relevant
   here. Try tech-userlevel@.

> If you are annoyed, then don't reply.
> Feel free to be polite next time.

You have an attitude problem.