Re: Getting the latest pkgsrc.tar.gz

On 5/26/06, Geert Hendrickx <ghen%telenet.be@localhost> wrote:
If CVS/Tag exists, it contains the tag/branch you're on.  If it doesn't,
you're on pkgsrc-HEAD.  "cvs up -dP" won't change the branch you're using.
To switch to HEAD, use -A (to reset any tags), to switch to <branch>, use
-A -r<branch>.

Hmm, say I am currently tracking the 2005-Q4 branch. That means the
CVS/Tag files in my pkgsrc should contain info that I am tracking this
branch. Right? So then to update it every day, I just need to use "cvs
up -dP" and automatically I will be synching with 2005-Q5. I don't
need to specify -A or -r2005-Q4 here; coz by default I just update
with the branch I am already in (in this case 2005-Q4).

Now say I want to move to the 2006-Q1 branch. I must do a "cvs up -dP
-A -r2006-Q1". -A resets all the tags. -r2006-Q1 shifts me to the
2006-Q1 branch (and creates CVS/Tag for 2006-Q1 too). Subsequently, I
can keep issuing "cvs up -dP" as usual, coz now the CVS/Tag files
contain info that I am on 2006-Q1. Righto?

Finally, say I wanted to move to HEAD, then I just do a "cvs up -dP
-A". -A resets all the tags. And subsequently I keep doing "cvs up
-dP" as usual. Right?

The -A and -r options come just that one time when I make a shift.
After that the CVS/Tag files take care of keeping me at the correct
branch. Aye aye? :)

That's all that I could make sense of from the discussion so far. I
hope I am right. :)

Thanks,
Rakhesh

--
        NetBSD/i386 3.0 | Toshiba Satellite L10-102
        http://mail-index.netbsd.org/ | http://man.netbsd.org/