Re: KDE features (missing in NetBSD ?)

Hi Joel,

Yes there are a few KDE features that won't work on NetBSD. KDE is actually
very OS independent, but you are right in thinking most KDE developers use
Linux. Though i know KDE is also developed on FreeBSD and at least 1 Koffice
developer uses NetBSD, 2 if you count me but I'm not really a KDE dev :)

As for your problems:

The USB notification wont work as we currently don't have a way for userland
apps to be notified when a device is plugged in. There was someone working on
this and some posts about it a while back.

The Lisa Daemon comes with kde. open control centre and go to local Network
browsing ->lisa daemon. Then use the set up wizard to get it up and running.
If you can configure it it works well.

I haven't tried the mdnsd daemon but it is installed as a dependency of kde.
It is the mDNSResponder package. I'm afraid i don't know how to get it

If you set kde to build with samba support you can view samba shares. It is
however very slow in my experience. In /etc/mk.conf add

Its just minor things like this that don't work the bulk of kde does.

Hope that helps

The NetBSD CVS Digest
RSS feed