Re: pkgsrc NetBSD 5.0_STABLE/x86_64 2009-07-24 10:40

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 05:13:31PM -0400, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> Is it simply that DESTDIR support is only half baked and that I need
> to kluge it a bit in the MAKEFILE?  Do I set MANDIR to something?  It
> seems that whatever I wind up doing in my Makefile should really be
> handled globally elsewhere.

It is not "half baked". Yes, it requires support from the package.
As I said, the install rules in the package have to install to under
${DESTDIR}. As there are hundred different ways to install files, this
requires modifications to packages. I know some people have
suggested it might magically wrap install or LD_PRELOAD, but all this
mechanisms have failure modes or are not portable. Even worse, if they
fail the result would likely be even more a riddle as the errors from
the wrapper framework. It might be good enough to override MANDIR, but
that doesn't address the other concerns raised with the install rules.
Not that I care specifically about those.

> There's another question too.  How come no other bulk build has this
> problem with the same package?

Because the default modus operandi is still USE_DESTDIR=no. Just like
some bulk builds are not even using PKG_DEVELOPER=yes.

Joerg