pkgsrc-Bulk archive

Re: pkgsrc NetBSD 5.0_STABLE/x86_64 2009-07-24 10:40

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 21:18:46 +0200
Joerg Sonnenberger <> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 01:01:04PM -0400, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> > OK, so the man page should have been built under ${WRKSRC} in this
> > case, right?  I assume that the builder has access to ${WRKSRC} due to
> > either running as root or setting it to some place they have access to.
> The installation should prefix all path names with ${DESTDIR}, which is
> set to ${WRKSRC}/.destdir. This bulk build is running unprivileged
> builds as user pbulk for those packages that are marked to support it.
> That's why writing to /usr/pkg fails.

I understand.  What I don't understand is what thinks that I am trying
to write to /usr/pkg.  My PLIST simply mentions "man/man1/generate.1"
with no leading slash.  Isn't that ${WRKSRC}/.destdir/man... which the
user has permissions to?

> > > The difference between user-destdir and destdir is just whether this
> > > happens as normal unprivileged user or as root.
> >
> > And if unprivileged then the user should have access to everything as
> > long as no full path names (e.g. /etc/myapp.conf) are used.
> Yes. It is generally nice if packages honor VARBASE and PKGSYSCONFDIR,
> which is what it boils down to.

Not relevant to this package.  Two binaries and a man page is all I
install from the package.

> > @comment $NetBSD: PLIST,v 2004/08/21 14:56:44 darcy Exp $
> > bin/generate
> > bin/rgenerate
> > man/man1/generate.1
> >
> > I would have thought that the build system could handle such a simple
> > installation without the maintainer needing to jump through hoops.
> My comment about using do-install is related to three problems. First of
> all, the existing rules don't honor DESTDIR. Either the variables in the
> Makefile have to be overwritten or the result patched. Second, it tries
> to change the permissions of the bin directory. That's a no-no. Third,
> it would be nice if the automatic stripping of binaries was inherited,
> but that is just nice.

OK, maybe I am starting to see a glimmer of something here.  Is it
simply that DESTDIR support is only half baked and that I need to
kluge it a bit in the MAKEFILE?  Do I set MANDIR to something?  It
seems that whatever I wind up doing in my Makefile should really be
handled globally elsewhere.

There's another question too.  How come no other bulk build has this
problem with the same package?

D'Arcy J.M. Cain <>