Re: pkgsrc NetBSD 5.0_STABLE/x86_64 2009-07-24 10:40

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 04:55:37PM -0400, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> I read this as meaning that setting it to "user-destdir" tells the build
> system that the package could be installed into the user's own space if
> desired but could be installed by root as well.

It means the install phase will use a temporary staging area under
${WRKSRC} and from that the package will be built. This is not the same
as using pkgsrc as unprivileged user with a prefix in $HOME, but the
problems are somewhat similar.

The difference between user-destdir and destdir is just whether this
happens as normal unprivileged user or as root.

> If my understanding is incorrect then it seems to me that there would
> be few if any packages that could be installed by non-root.  Do I need
> to add "${DESTDIR}" in front of every line in PLIST?  I thought that
> the build system would handle that for me.  I can't find any other
> packages that do so.

Not the PLIST, the install commands. Looking at the package it might
be better to use do-install directly though.

Joerg