NetBSD-Users archive

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]

Re: Is it possible to enlarge cgd-encrypted partition?



Taylor R Campbell <riastradh%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> If you were doing this afresh, I would suggest you do it the other way
> around: configure cgd0 on raid0b, and add cgd0 as pv to vg0; then to
> expand it, you can configure cgd1 on raid1b, and add cgd1 as a pv to
> vg0.  (Or, push further even down: configure cgd0 on wd0, cgd1 on ld1,
> cgd2 on sd2, ..., and raid0 on {cgd0,cgd1}, raid1 on {cgd2,cgd3}, and
> so on.)

Oh, thanks a lot, this is a genius solution! Somehow, I didn't realize
that I could create LVM or even a RAID on top of the cgdN devices, like
it is a usual disks.

I already applied it in my test server and it really works!

> The reason I suggest this is so that you can _recycle_ each disk
> independently -- to securely erase it when you recycle it, you only
> need to erase _that disk's_ parameters file (at which point the
> ciphertext on the disk will become unreadable).

Huh, that's much simpler than disassembling the disk and drilling it's
parts :-D. Thanks for the idea!

-- 
Eugene Andrienko


Home | Main Index | Thread Index | Old Index