Re: ure0: Questionable Performance

Thank you for the reply!

On Mon, Jul 22, 2024, at 7:54 AM, Robert Swindells wrote:
> matthewd%fastmai.us@localhost wrote:
>> May I have some help troubleshooting poor network performance?  I have
>> an older laptop (Thinkpad 13) with a USB-C Ethernet dongle that attaches
>> as ure0 as it has no builtin Ethernet port.  I'm running NetBSD 10.0
>> STABLE built locally from a couple of days ago.
>
>> $ ifconfig ure0
>> ure0: flags=0x8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>>         capabilities=0x3ff00<IP4CSUM_Rx,IP4CSUM_Tx,TCP4CSUM_Rx,TCP4CSUM_Tx>
>>         capabilities=0x3ff00<UDP4CSUM_Rx,UDP4CSUM_Tx,TCP6CSUM_Rx,TCP6CSUM_Tx>
>>         capabilities=0x3ff00<UDP6CSUM_Rx,UDP6CSUM_Tx>
>>         enabled=0
>
> You could enable HW checksumming.

This did not appear to make a difference.

I agree.  I am wondering if there are configurations I've missed!  Are the sysctl knobs on this wiki still relevant:  https://wiki.netbsd.org/tutorials/tuning_netbsd_for_performance/#index3h2 ?

> What is at the other end of your cable?
>
> One cause of really slow network performance can be a mismatch in full/half
> duplex negotiation between the two devices.

At the other end I'm running OpenWrt on a Linksys WRT3200ACM.  When connected, both sides show up as !000 Full Duplex.

I'll look around for an adapter using axen(4) - they seem relatively inexpensive.

-Matthew

--

  matthewd%fastmail.us@localhost