Re: PCCONS still needed for Xorg

nia@ wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 29, 2024 at 11:59:24AM +0200, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult wrote:
> > On 22.06.24 09:14, nia wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >

> > > pccons was removed from i386 and shark ports.
> > > That leaves NetBSD/arc as its last remaining consumer.
> > >
> > > However, not with the GENERIC kernel. Seems you have
> > > to use the PCCONS kernel - NetBSD/arc GENERIC is wscons.
> > >
> > > It seems pretty dead.
> >

> > Thanks.
> >
> > So can we conclude that it's not needed for Xorg anymore ?
>
> That's X.Org's call. Let's add port-mips@ to this thread
> and see if anyone is using pccons on arc.
>
> > Is there any other BSD still using pccons ?
>
> Quick search of bxr.su reveals "no".

I guess there are only ~5 users of NetBSD/arc,
but I believe no one uses pccons on them.

- old NetBSD/pica (former name of arc) was ported before wscons(4) was
  introduced so ancient GENERIC had pccons(4)
 http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/sys/arch/pica/conf/Attic/GENERIC?rev=1.1.1.1&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

- once tga(4) console with wscons(4) was introduced to arc port,
  the GENERIC was switched to using wscons(4) but it looks old
  GENERIC was preserved as "generic but pccons rather than wscons"
 http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/sys/arch/arc/conf/PCCONS#rev1.1

- at least RISCstatation 2250 (R94) with tga(4),
  Express5800/230 PCI (JC94) with tga(4),
  Express5800/240 EISA (J96A) with vga(4),
  Acer PICA (emulated by GXemul) with vga(4), and
  DeskStation Tyne with vga(4) work/worked with wscons(4)

- there was an old post that MIPS Magnum required PCCONS,
  but maybe we can fix it rather then keeping it
 https://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-arc/2001/07/11/0000.html

- old X11R6 based and patched XalphaNetBSD server worked on my
  Express5800/230 with wscons(4) (tga(4) and pckbd(4))

I.e. no problem to remove PCCONS_SUPPORT from bsd_kbd.c
in xf86-input-keyboard etc.

(needs more work to get working X11R7 based servers on arc port though)

 https://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2024/06/18/msg031353.html
>> In case it's still needed, I'm wondering where exactly the pccons
>> ioctl's are defined, so we can at least drop our own hackish definitions.

Just FYI,
 https://github.com/NetBSD/src/blob/143b2b09/sys/arch/arc/dev/pccons.c#L720-L799
 https://github.com/NetBSD/src/blob/143b2b09/sys/arch/arc/include/pccons.h
 https://github.com/NetBSD/src/blob/5599baaf/sys/arch/i386/isa/pccons.c#L963-L1036
 https://github.com/NetBSD/src/blob/5599baaf/sys/arch/i386/include/pccons.h

i.e they could be included via <machine/pccons.h>.

---
Izumi Tsutsui