Re: How to mount a PCMCIA hard drive

On Tue, Jun 11, 2024 at 01:56:22 +0700, Robert Elz wrote:

>     Date:        Mon, 10 Jun 2024 03:58:30 +0300
>     From:        Valery Ushakov <uwe%stderr.spb.ru@localhost>
>
>   | a CF card in a PCMCIA slot:
>
> I used to have systems with PCMCIA - I formed the impression (at the
> time - several (major) NetBSD releases ago) that old sytle PCMCIA support
> kind of bit-rotted about the time that CF support was being added.

I have tested my Jornada relatively recently (a couple of years ago,
with current that would eventually become 10) and it worked.  CF is
the only storage option there, so I would have noticed :)
Unfortunately it's the CF itself that bit-rotted (the nice large 2GB
one), so I only could test a minimal installation on a 256MB card.

I have an old Latitude CP of ~2000 vintage with 2 cardbus slots.
wi(4) works.  Unfortunately other PCMCIA network card drivers seems to
have bitrotted indeed.  Neither mhzc(4), nor ne(4) work.  Something
changed at the interface/ether level, I guess.

I seem to recall that freebsd(?) taught wi(4) WPA so that it can be
used with modern access points.  It requires updated firmware and I
managed to flash the new one, that is supposed to support WEP, to one
of my cards (there's a windows xp tool and i happened to had an xp
machine with pcmcia slot) but have no idea if WPA indeed works (it
still works with the old driver).

-uwe