Re: DVD+R DL disk

Todd Gruhn <tgruhn2%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> Wow -- Thanks.
>

> I was playing with 'cd-info'.
> What can I use here?  I did this:
>
> gandalf# cd-info
> cd-info
> cd-info version 2.1.0 x86_64--netbsd
> Copyright (c) 2003-2005, 2007-2008, 2011-2015, 2017 R. Bernstein
> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
> There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
> PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
> CD location   : /dev/rcd0d
> CD driver name: NetBSD
>    access mode: no access method
>
> Vendor                      : ASUS
> Model                       : DRW-24F1ST   d
> Revision                    : 1.00
> Hardware                                  : CD-ROM or DVD

[snip]

> Disc mode is listed as: DVD+R DL
> ++ WARN: error in ioctl(CDIOREADTOCHEADER): Invalid argument
>
> cd-info: Can't get first track number. I give up.
> gandalf#

I have never used cd-info...  the output for the modes seems lacking...
there are more modes in the world than it mentions...  just install
cdrecord and ask it (it supports everything from CDs to BR media and
pretty much all modes of DVD anything), or try to burn something greater
than 4.5GB and less than 8GB with cdrecord (a quirk in cdrecord is that
if your image you are burning would fit on a DVD+R media and you have a
DVD+R DL media in the drive, it will complain at you letting you know
that your image would fit on the smaller media and maybe not allow the
burn).  Or, you can do a net search using your favorite search engine on
the model of the drive.  A very brief search on 'DRW-24F1ST' shows that
device to be a multidrive and it appears to be able to deal with DVD+R
DL media just fine (newegg seems to think so, in any case).

Since you have +R or +R DL media you will be doing the "take a image and
burn the whole thing" ... the same would be true for -R or -R DL media,
sort of thing.  If you had +RW (especially) or -RW media (maybe) you
could get away with using growisofs (in the dvd+rw-tools package in
pkgsrc) that would let you append to the read/write media.

--
Brad Spencer - brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org