Fontconfig and variable fonts

I was looking again at how to use variable fonts in, say, GVim, thus
fontconfig. A variable font is a font that has one or more parameters
that change how it looks. An example is Recursive: see
https://www.recursive.design/ .

I looked at the distfile of fontconfig and to my surprise I found an
entry from 2017: "This is the last piece of the puzzle for variable-font
support in fontconfig."

But is it actually documented anywhere how this can be used? I have
searched for years (literally) and never found even a hint. Nothing at
all.

https://freedesktop.org/software/fontconfig/fontconfig-user.html
certainly doesn't mention it.

Did anyone manage to find out, perhaps by accident or so?

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert                            <rhialto/at/falu.nl>
\X/ There is no AI. There is just someone else's work.           --I. Rose