Re: framebuffer console on old ATI

Hi,

John D. Baker wrote:
> As you have seen, the "radeon*" and "radeondrmkmsfb*" drivers do not
> attach on "r100" class devices.  They have been explicitly excluded
> because early in the DRMKMS integration in NetBSD, they exhibited the
> "(almost) black-on-black" video problem described in:

I remember seeing that issue.. long time ago, but don't remember on
which OS and hardware combination.

However, i checked a little better.
 ATI Technologies Radeon
Mobility M7 LW (rev. 0x00)

would be an RS250 chip, so a little bit newer. Does the same issue
apply? or is it "blacklisted" for any other reason?
Since I am endeavouring in compiling a kernel, I might try enabling it,
if you tell me how. Just as a test, maybe magic happens.

>   http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2015/02/20/msg026732
>
> and later in the following PR:
>
>   kern/49744: console is blank drm2/radeon
>
> The suggestion for "radeonfb*" is interesting.  I see it's in the "ALL"
> kernel, but not in "GENERIC" (not even as a commented-out device), so
> you'd have to compile a custom kernel with it added to the config.

That's what I wrote, I didn't see it, copying config from GENERIC.

I also tried to compare with OpenBSD on another Laptop where
framebwuffer runs wonderfully. It uses radeondrm0. I don't know how this
in OpenBSD speak this compares to NetBSD.

However, it detects a Mobility M9, which corresponds to RV250, which is
newer... too much marketing speak there.
RV200 appers to be just a shrink of RV100, a budget version of R100.
But found no wiki about RS250. According to [1] it is just another Rage
6 variant, something for mobile.

Riccardo

[1] https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/ati-rs250.g384