Re: Intel Wireless fatal error

El mar, 7 may 2024 a las 11:13, Martin Husemann (<martin%duskware.de@localhost>) escribió:

> On Tue, May 07, 2024 at 08:16:18AM +0000, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
> > [  3574.054462] iwi0: autoconfiguration error: fatal error
>
> The message is bogus, it has nothing to do with autoconfiguration.
>
> "Fatal error" is a bit in the interrupt cause register of the intel
> chipset. The driver can not do anything about it and resets the device
> (simmilar to a "ifconfig iwi0 down). This is not a good error handling
> strategy, as you have noticed - and it is also done very wrong in the
> iwi_softintr handler.
>
> The driver should clear the interrupt, schedule a reset and ignore all
> other activity untill the reset has happened. Of course the reset should
> include bringing up the device to full working state again.
>
> However, this is obviously not easy to test and debug, as you will have to
> be in a setup where this happens often enough (like your's).
> If you have patience and would be able to help with this: compile your
> kernel with "options IWI_DEBUG" and see if that enables enough login to
> give us a hint about the cause. If that is not enough you would need to
> raise iwi_debug to more than the default level of 4, but that would
> spam your log with every received packet.
>
> Please file a PR and lets collect data there.
>
> Martin

I remember such messages in my old Compal Electronics laptop i386
machine with iwi0 several months before NetBSD 10 release, at the very
early moments after installing. I did not dig into that cause I ended
using the more trusty ethernet, but it was very frustrating. If you
think I can help with that I can compile the kernel with IWI_DEBUG as
said before. It is a computer that I do not use regulary so plenty of
space to do experiments.

Regards.
Ramiro.