Re: Reverse of promoting to root: downgrade root to unprivileged

As RVP mentioned, this is a SMOP, but if you're looking for an out of the box utility, checkout djb's setuidgid (available in pkgsrc/sysutils/daemontools) https://cr.yp.to/daemontools/setuidgid.html

On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 at 04:10, RVP <rvp%sdf.org@localhost> wrote:
On Sat, 27 Jan 2024, tlaronde%kergis.com@localhost wrote:

> But does somebody know of an established program or library that allows
> to start a process as root and to automatically downgrade rights for
> tasks (I mean identified chunks of whatever code) that do not require
> privileges?

You mean toggling between various EUIDs and the saved-SUID? That's
pretty standard stuff, but, I don't know if it's been encapsulated
in any kind of utility.

-RVP