MNT Reform2 (NXP LPC IFLASH) usb problem

Hey!

I have a MNT Reform2 ARM-based open-sores laptop that I hope to get
NetBSD on at some point (currently hampered by me having gotten the more
powerful ls1028a cpu module instead of the i.mx8 one which is not
properly supported by u-boot so no graphical console on boot. I have
some plans to use the onboard serial port to see what a netbsd
thumbstick does, but I need to build some hardware for that.)

Onward to the subject, I wanted to update the LCP firmware on the
laptop, which is done by mounting an internal USB device on another
computer and copying (the official documentation uses dd for some
reason) a file to a FAT filelesystem.

I set the reform to flash-firmware mode and NetBSD detected the expected
usb device properly but after that all I get from the device is I/O error:

[    21.611880] umass1 at uhub3 port 3 configuration 1 interface 0
[    21.611880] umass1: NXP (0x1fc9) LPC1XXX IFLASH (0x000b), rev
2.00/7.04, addr 5
[    21.611880] umass1: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
[    21.611880] scsibus1 at umass1: 2 targets, 1 lun per target
[    21.611880] sd1 at scsibus1 target 0 lun 0: <NXP, LPC1XXX IFLASH,
1.0> disk removable
[    21.611880] sd1: fabricating a geometry
[    21.611880] sd1: 34816, 0 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 68
sectors
[    21.611880] autoconfiguration error: sd1: unable to open device,
error = 5

At first I tried plugging it into my trusty x220 laptop and then I tried
plugging it in to my windows desktop--which worked, I could see the
firmware.bin file--but when I booted a netbsd install thumbdrive on the
same desktop, I got EIO again. This is not just the autoconfigurator,
but any communication attempt with the disk results in EIO.

Clearly something is not working properly, thoughts?

Staffan