Re: pkgconf freetype and flags

nia <nia%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

>> > we see that for freetype -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib is missing and this causes
>> > me various issues during configures and builds.
>>
>> This is the typical bug.
>>
>> You can look at the freetype2 package and the file from upstream and how
>> LDFLAGS get substituted in.
>>
>> Basically things are often linuxy and assume that everything goes in
>> /usr and there is no need to set rpath.
>
> Specifically:
>
> - RPATH is not portable. Some OSes don't support it at all.

It's true that it's complicated.  But when generating a .pc file the
right thing to do is to respect the local conventions.  I view including
rpath (if not /usr) as the standard approach.

>   Many distributors recommend against it and advise leaving
>   library path configuration to the system's administrator.

True, but that doesn't make their opinion correct.  These are also
people that put everything in /usr and thus are unconcerned that their
opinion results in a non-working setup for people that don't do that.

> - In pkgsrc we use PKGCONFIG_OVERRIDE to automatically insert
>   RPATH to .pc files on supported systems.

Thanks; I was not aware of that.  It would be nice if Someone(tm) added
it to the pkgsrc guide.

python311 at least seems to need this fixed.  I had run into linking
with the pc file not working and just hand patched the installed
version.  (This is for building something outside of pkgsrc.)