upgrading a system to NetBSD 10 using sysinst vs sysupgrade

Hello,

I have some doubts about the NetBSD upgrading procedure, now that we are closer to NetBSD release I want to do things right.

I installed NetBSD 9.3 in my Intel Nuc 8i7 but I had some problems to get Xorg Modesetting driver working so I decided to upgrade the system to NetBSD-Current using sysutils/sysupgrade program. Everything went ok in Xorg as I told in this mailing list.

Days after, I was trying to compile some programs and decided to install the Xorg source set. I run #sysinst program from the running system to install several sets. Also by mistake I installed kernel, base (I believed that they will be uninstalled if not marked selected on the screen). But I also installed the /etc set over my /etc files and everything screwed up :-) I believed that the /etc set would mix carefully with the existing files as sysupgrade did but it simply copied over them, deleting configuration files. Of course /etc/rc.conf was destroyed. :-)

After reading the chapter "rescuing a system" could fix it. Great!

http://www.netbsd.org/docs/misc/index.html#why-single-user

It was a good learning experience, indeed. Now uname says I am at NetBSD 10.0_RC1.

Reading the NetBSD Guide I see that upgrades can be done using sysinst (a bit more confortable than sysupgrade) but says that:

" To do the upgrade, you must have some form of bootable media (CD-ROM, USB drive, floppy, etc.) available and at least the base and kern distribution sets. "

My doubt is: can sysint be executed from the running system and upgraded from the internet using the configured system network? Or upgrade must be run from the bootable media?

Thanks in advance.

Ramiro.