Re: NetBSD 10.0 timeline and branch status

>> Unfortunately the additional shared library changes require
>> another round of package rebuilds from scratch.  Everyone
>> building packages against netbsd-10: please start a new round
>> from scratch.
>
> Does that mean the pkgsrc-2023Q2 binary packages for 10_BETA 2
> that have been published recently are useless on a new 10_BETA
> install?
>
> That's too bad. I was looking forward to using those packages
> to set up some new CI build machines. Should I wait for the
> 2023Q3 builds then?

With the caveat that I've not verified this myself, I *think*
this depends on how you got to where you are at the moment.  If
your current up-to-date 10.0 BETA using openssl 3 was initially
installed in the pre-openssl3 era and subsequently upgraded, the
old major versions of the shared libraries should still be
installed, and you should then in theory be able to use packages
from a binary package repository from the pre-openssl3 era.

If, on the other hand you're talking about a fresh install of a
10.0 BETA with openssl 3, you will not be able to use binary
packages built in the pre-openssl3 era.

In theory we could consider preparing a "compat 10.0 beta pre-
openssl3" package similar to compat90 etc., but I'm a little
uncertain whether we have "archived binaries" to produce these
from...

Regards,

- Håvard