Re: UEFI installation

On 15/08/23 01:30, Greg Troxel wrote:
Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> writes:

But the part that I don't understand: why can't you get your machine to
boot the USB install image in UEFI mode? With stupid x86 firmware everything
is possible but I would guess it is more likely that some setting should
allow booting from USB in UEFI mode. Maybe the boot order settings
priorize CSM/legacy mode for USB over native (UEFI) boot and you can move
the UEFI USB boot up in the list?

It may just be me not figuring it out.  The in-BIOS labels for settings
are hard to understand.  I'll see, but at least now I understand what's
going on.

What sort of Dell is it? We've got lots of them of various ages so I'm fairly familiar with the BIOS settings. Any halfway recent one will let you UEFI boot off anything, but the newer they are the more restrictive they are in what they will legacy boot from. Recent ones will only allow legacy boot from external USB.

I haven't tried a netbsd-9 install recently, but last week I did a uefi install of 10_beta all from the installer and that was straight forward and went smoothly. Previously I'd always broken out and set up the disks manually - as per https://wiki.netbsd.org/Installation_on_UEFI_systems/

cheers
mark