Re: Raspberry Pi 3 and NetBSD 10.0_BETA - WiFi stops working after few hours and wonky USB keyboard

On 27/03/2023 00:44, MJ wrote:
On 27/03/2023 7:26 am, Bartek Krawczyk wrote:
Hi,
is anybody using a Raspberry Pi 3 daily? I've been testing it with 10.0_BETA (tried -current from a week back but didn't boot) and I'm experiencing intermittent problems with WiFi and USB keyboard.

I'm currently compiling packages from pkgsrc-current to test the future 2023Q1 release and right now I'm at security/ca-certificates (btw. this one is a beast to build: llvm, rust, damn). The load during compile is around 1-1.5 and usually 1 or 2 cores are utilized (Rpi3 has 4 cores).

First problem I noticed is that USB keyboard is "wonky". It repeats my keystrokes a bunch of times until I hit a different key.

I had noticed this when testing the RPI 3B under NetBSD 9.x. I only used the keyboard to install and then went straight to headless, but yes, when I hit return/enter for something, it would scroll off the page until I "smashed" a few more keys. I don't recall it happening for other keys though.

Oh cool, so it's not just me. Although I haven't noticed others complaining about it. Does anybody have any idea how to debug it further so a meaningful bug can be reported? There's no problems in the logs etc.

Another problem is that after a while - hours, tens of hours the Pi stops responding over network, my router/ap (MikroTik) shows stuff like:

I have heard the WiFi on these is terrible, so you're probably not configuring or doing anything wrong.

Perhaps the device is going into power saving mode and your connection terminates?

There's "powersave off" in the ifconfig output and I've issued the ifconfig bwfm0 -powersave command explicitly as well. No change.

You could mitigate this by using whatever gets your wifi back by placing it in a script and pinging a known site. Once the site no longer responds, write a message to the log using logger and restart wpa_supplicant.

Another thing, change the channel of the router, perhaps there's interference from others around you?

It's not the interference - other devices near it work just fine. And have been working fine for years. I'll be raising a wpa_supplicant bug then. Since it's working after wpa_supplicant restart and it's rekeying periodically. Interference would impact it intermittently, not completely after few hours. Thanks for suggestion, though.

--
Regards
Bartłomiej Krawczyk