Re: Wiki page review

> On Jan 5, 2023, at 6:24 AM, Robert Swindells <rjs%fdy2.co.uk@localhost> wrote:
>
> Maybe structure it to allow for some systems not needing U-Boot to be
> added to an image, most systems do need it now but that may change over
> time.
>
> e.g. A Pinebook Pro with Tow-Boot in SPI flash doesn't need U-Boot as
> well.

I’m not quite sure what you mean by this comment; for example, what does “it” refer to in the first sentence?  Are you referring to the document, to the way the code works, or to something else?

My understanding is that it may or may not be possible to boot the default armv7.img; I can’t really test that myself as my boards require u-boot boot blocks which that image does not have.  For those boards that require u-boot boot blocks, it is possible for installboot to add them, thus avoiding all the manual steps that are otherwise required.  The document simply makes clear (I hope) how that works.

If you are suggesting that I mention that some other boards might boot directly from the armv7.img, that is great to know.  I would happily add that information to the document, but I do not know what to say about which boards that applies to.  If anyone can elaborate I am happy to improve the wording in this area.

If you are suggesting that the code should work differently, that is more complicated and beyond what I am trying to accomplish.  However, knowing what people think about how the code should work is potentially useful.

Perhaps you were referring to something else?  For example, a more general statement about which boards boot how?  That would be great to have better knowledge of, but I do not currently know what to write.

Clarifying this all likely takes more ARM expertise, which is a great reason for switching to port-arm@ as you suggest and I have done (see below).

> Also, port-arm@ would probably be a better place to discuss this
> than netbsd-users@.

Great idea.  As noted in my previous message, I started a new thread there with the version updated from all the comments I have received so far (and changed reply-to: to reflect that).

Thanks for helping with this.

Cheers,
Brook