Re: Internet connection redundancy (DSL and 4GLTE)

Am Mittwoch, 8. Juni 2022, 09:38:30 CEST schrieb BERTRAND Joël:
>         Now, I'm trying to automatically change default route (from
> 192.168.15.20 to 192.168.15.19 and reciprocally) when DSL connection is
> down.
there are lot of different ways to implement such a "automatic failover" with
different pros and cons.

The "simplest" but hacky way may be to use ppps ip-up/down / pre-up/down or
similiar parameters / scripts with simple shell scripts to switch forth/back
the default route when the ppp interface goes down or up. To get this work
well, ppp has to be cofigured to check the link "health".

NetBSD allows many standard routing protocols which - in parts - may provide
similiar solutions.

One problem is, that all these solutions does not recognize if your ISP has
some "uplink" down, because it only checks the health of the DSL connection.
In such cases your failover would not switch as you might want that. Some ppl
write scripts which ping some "highly available" IP somewhere in the internet
to check if "internet connectivity" really works and let switch over by shell
if a ping series goes to nirvana.

hth,
cheers,

niels.