solved (was: Re: UEFI dual-boot with Windows)

On Thu, 30 Dec 2021, Pedro Pinho wrote:

Not adding anything here but, this is something users ask everynow and then on different forums.
It would be awesome if the wiki contained a guide on how to set-up a dualboot, Windows/NetBSD and
Linux/NetBSD. Including seting up rEFInd would be the icing on the cake.

As an update to my initial post, I now made this work. The trick was to use a bootx64.efi from NetBSD-current, which looks much improved from the one shipped in -9. Notably, the kernel boots with a low-resolution graphical console and switches to the proper console font and resolution a bit later.

This how the setup works:

My root partition on the second SSD is a GPT part named "shiso-root" (shiso is the host name).

I installed rEFInd according to the "Installing from Windows" section in its docs. Then, I copied /usr/mdec/bootx64.efi from an extracted base.tgz to \EFI\NetBSD\bootx64.efi on the EFI system partition. In the root directory of that partition, I placed the kernel (which ended up not being necessary) and a boot.cfg file.

The sequence of commands to boot is

root NAME=shiso-root
boot NAME=shiso-root:/netbsd

The rEFInd boot menu is graphical and nicer than manually hitting the key for selecting the boot device at the right point :)

--
Benny