Re: what is systems programming?

Google Cloud or AWS provides access to users directly. But I think a big part of programmers working on gCloud or AWS are system programmers.

On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 1:24 PM Greg A. Woods <woods%planix.ca@localhost> wrote:
At Sun, 28 Nov 2021 05:04:44 GMT, Mayuresh Kathe <mayuresh%sdf.org@localhost> wrote:
Subject: what is systems programming?

> i have heard a lot of references to systems
> programming throughout my time as a
> programmer in the past 30 years, but even
> on inquiring haven't received a clear and
> simple answer to what makes a systems
> programmer.

I don't agree with the whole of the Wikipedia article about "Systems
Programming", but I think this part is an excellent summary:

    The primary distinguishing characteristic of systems programming
    when compared to application programming is that application
    programming aims to produce software which provides services to the
    user directly (e.g. word processor), whereas systems programming
    aims to produce software and software platforms which provide
    services to other software.

The Encyclopedia Britannica description is also reasonably good (though
I would definitely leave out the phrase "especially as used in computer
networks" -- that is not a requirement):

    Systems programming:  Development of computer software that is part
    of a computer operating system or other control program, especially
    as used in computer networks.  Systems programming covers data and
    program management, including operating systems, control programs,
    network software, and database management systems.

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>
Planix, Inc. <woods%planix.com@localhost>     Avoncote Farms <woods%avoncote.ca@localhost>