Sendmail with relay (SMART_HOST), STARTTLS and AUTH

Hello,

I'm trying to set-up a node with sendmail(8).

In order to not be blocked, eventually, by some firewall rule on port
25, I'm relaying mail to a smart host, listening on port 587 for
STARTTLS, and I need to authentify using LOGIN or PLAIN mechanisme.

For relaying, forwarding to port 587 and starting TLS with sendmail, no
problem after adding the needed options for the compilation of the
package.

But whatever I'm trying to do, having added a
/usr/pkg/etc/sasl2/Sendmail.conf configuration and having installed
cyrus-sasl2 and cyrus-saslauthd, and launching the saslauthd daemon,
sendmail, without dialoguing with the server (for this; STARTTLS
is OK) always answers:

no worthy mechs found

So the blocking comes from sendmail. I have verified by telnet, that
doing authenfication by hand works.

From a search on the Web, when this kind of message is issued with
Postfix, on Linux based distribution, the problem is solved whether
by adding sasl modules or by specifying a configuration variable
for Postfix allowing plaintext authenfications (that is not allowed
by default).

But as far as I understand, pkgsrc cyrus-sasl2 and cyrus-saslauthd
are sufficient and there is no such thing as this sasl-security
conf variable for sendmail.

FWIW, here is the relevant part of my .mc file:

define(`SMART_HOST',`mail.example.com')dnl
dnl # Do I really need this since I'm not doing local authentification?
define(`TRUST_AUTH_MECH', `EXTERNAL GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `EXTERNAL GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A p')dnl
FEATURE(`authinfo')dnl
FEATURE(`no_default_msa')dnl turn off default entry for MSA
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=587, Name=MSA, M=E')dnl

If someone has any clue, I would be very grateful!

TIA,
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                    http://kertex.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/