Re: Android development

On 23/09/2021 6:21 pm, Riza Dindir wrote:
Hello All,

Can we build android apps using the android sdk and adb on netbsd? Or
any other means to develop android applications for mobile devices and
smart phones?

Regards,
Riza

Hi Riza,

I know it's not NetBSD, but you seem able to do it on FreeBSD.
https://baohaojun.github.io/blog/2020/06/16/0-Android-App-development-under-FreeBSD.html

So, tick off the one's in this FreeBSD tutorial:

1. Linux compatibility. (https://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-linux.html)
2. OpenJDK - https://pkgsrc.se/lang/openjdk8
3. ADB tools - https://pkgsrc.se/wip/android-tools-adb
4. Eclipse - https://pkgsrc.se/wip/eclipse
5. Android studio. That I don't know. I do know people on FreeBSD have tried it and discussions were on the forums, but it never got anywhere and it seemed most resigned to running it in Linux or, eek, Windows.

So, I fear you might get 90% of the way and the last 10% will be impossible.

There was some talk about an Android emulator, but I don't see anything happening on that front.
https://wiki.netbsd.org/projects/project/compat_android/

It's probably worth wasting a few hours to see how far you get and who knows, you might be successful.
:-)

Cheers
Mark