Re: can' seem to mount a usb memory stick

On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 12:05:38PM +0900, Henry wrote:
> Hi and TIA for help,
>
> When I plugged the usb stick in, it seemed to be recognized correctly
> as sd0.  I tried to mount it with:
> # mount -t msdos /dev/sd0a /mnt
> but got the error:
> mount_msdos: /dev/sd0a on /mnt: Device not configured

It is probably not sd0a that has the MSDOS partition. There are several
possibilities here:

 - the stick has no partitions at all, so you need to use the raw
   device (on amd64: sd0d)

 - the stick is GPT partitioned and the kernel automatically created
   wedges (dk...) for the partitions, you can check with:

	dkctl sd0 listwedges

 - the stick (only) has MBR partitions, which typically would make
   the first DOS partition sd0e - you can check with:

	disklabel sd0

 - the stick has been partitioned on NetBSD before and has MBR + disklabel
   partitions - the MSDOS partition could be any sd0X, again you can
   check with:

	disklabel sd0

Partitioning schemes are a mess :-/

Martin