Re: Does a full install include NetBSD and X sources?

Hello

On Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 1:32 PM Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:

> John Nemeth <jnemeth%cue.bc.ca@localhost> writes:
>
> >      To answer the original poster's question, no a full install
> > does not include the sources.  On the "Custom Install" menu there
> > are check boxes for sources (both base and X); however, most install
> > media don't include the source sets.  You can find the sources for
> > everything included with NetBSD on the ftp server.  For example,
> > the path for the 9.2 sources is /pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-9.2/source/sets .
> > Extract the tar balls with "tar xpf <set> -C /".
>
> And, I view  it as unusual to want to unpack sources from sets, rather
> than access them through a version control system either the native CVS,
> or an hg or git mirror.    I check them out via CVS on one or maybe two
> of my machines, and update them along the stable branches (or current),
> because on my main/sort-of-production machine  I basically always want
> to be running the latest netbsd-9.

You are correct. No need for the sources, since you can download them.
And this would also not be a valid option for people who want an
operating system, but don't do development on it.

But a "full install" choice in the installation menu led me to believe
that I had the sources.

Thank you all again.

Riza