Radio reception / GNU Radio / SDRs

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone here is doing radio things on NetBSD
and has any recommendations of which hardware and software to use
what your set up looks like, in particular if there's any
guides.

We're instaying at a camp in some remote area and have access to lots
of hardware but nobody here really knows how to use gnuradio. The
software seems very modular and complex for beginners.

It seems from an initial search of the lists people are doing DVB-T
reception on NetBSD but I'm not certain how - it seems on Linux there
are kernel drivers that you use through VLC or something.