Re: firefox on NetBSD: files again

On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 01:46:11PM +0100, Sad Clouds wrote:
> On Mon, 31 May 2021 09:33:18 +0200
> tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost wrote:
>
> > Once more it is a problem of number of files a proc can open. What was
> > enough for a previous version is not enough anymore because firefox
> > renders pages with litteraly thousands of pieces/files.
>
> Which version of Firefox is it? Do you have a link to a web site where
> Firefox will open thousands of files, as you say, when it renders its
> pages?

All versions from firefox-esr (78) to 86 (2021Q1). I tried 2020Q4,
2020Q3 for binary packages: same thing. Tried to compile from 2020Q2
(no binary packages) but to no avail since there is always something
that refuses to compile (for configure reasons). My previous firefox
version was 80 IIRC dating at most from 2020Q1 and I had already
to increase maxfiles and the ulimits.

With my kernel compiled with maxusers 16, ulimit -n could not pass 956.
And it was set to this maximum and firefox crashed.

You can probably not reproduce it with the default of 64 for maxusers
and the ulimit defaults.

To trigger, it was enough to try https://youtube.com/ for example (or
some info/news articles where they insist on displaying videos of the
news you want to _read_, ads, hundred of links to other articles and so
on). And if this is not enough, try to open 2 or 3 tabs with such kind
of "pages" (if the page doesn't render correctly but the tab doesn't
crash, just open a new tab to search for "firefox tabs constantly
crashing", and the firefox help page will make it crash...).

And, FWIW, I tried also with another new profile (moving or deleting
entirely .mozilla). Same.
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                    http://kertex.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/