Re: VLC

On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 8:44 PM Todd Gruhn <tgruhn2%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> I been using VLC to listen to music recently.
> I tried to watch a DVD -- and it refuses to work.
>
> Is it better to invoke VLC 2 different ways :
>     One way for music
>     Another way for video
>
> Then I can stick them in an  mwm menu and click on the way I
> wish to invoke VLC...

Some DVDs have CSS protection, which encrypts the DVD's data. I
believe VLC needs a plugin to decode the encrypted data stream.

I don't know what is needed for NetBSD, however. You might try
installing libdvdcss if it is available. Also see the thread "Running
VLC" by Todd Gruhn at
https://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2021/03/04/msg026673.html.

For Ubuntu, the process is shown at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs.