a reminder: upgrade Xen in single-user mode, or with Xen disabled!

So I just upgraded Xen to xenkernel413-4.13.2nb5, but without first
upgrading the Xen tools, as otherwise how would one safely shut down any
running domUs, etc.?  :-)

Once upgrading to xentools413-4.13.2nb4 I immediately got stuck:

# xl list
Name                                        ID   Mem VCPUs      State   Time(s)
[ 578.9865720] load: 0.27  cmd: xl 2027 [tstile] 0.00u 0.01s 0% 3080k

and I mean "really" stuck -- xl is unkillable (and unstoppable) in that
state!

At first I had grave misgivings that the old tstile deadlock was back,
but at the moment only dom0 is running....

So thinking, hmmmm.... the old xenstored is started on boot and will
still be running and so I need to restart that from another xterm with
"/etc/rc.d/xencommons restart", and voila, that unstuck xl.

Probably xl shouldn't get stuck like that if it can't connect to
xenstored properly -- as I said it's unkillable in that state!

I then tried "/etc/rc.d/xenwatchdog restart" but it didn't restart (for
some reason I've yet to diagnose -- I had this happen once before -- it
seems to have trouble restarting sometimes, perhaps especially after
restarting xencommons).

That meant that a few moments later the Xen kernel decided dom0 was dead
and promptly (and I mean PROMPTLY) rebooted the machine -- kaboom!

(XEN) [2021-03-25 04:16:26.951] Watchdog timer fired for domain 0
(XEN) [2021-03-25 04:16:26.951] Hardware Dom0 shutdown: watchdog rebooting machine

At least on this next reboot all the right versions of the right bits
started!

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>