Disk strangeness

I have 2 different types of compact disks. One is a
CD-RW, the other is DVD-RW. I was able to initialize
the DVD-RW disks using 'cdrecord ... blank=fast'  followed
by 'newfs /dev/rcd0'

I can do 'cdrecord ... blank=fast' to the CD-RW disks,
but then newfs fails when I tell it to initialize the disk.
Is it possible for a CD-RW to be too-old, and have an
out of date format? IS THERE another way to initialize
the CD-RW disks? Is there a test I should be trying?

Thanks for the advice