Re: Program segfaults if compiled with -pg and linked to shared library

I confirm that bug.

If it happens that the program uses anything beyond libc, -pg does not work and causes a program to segfault.
It is certainly not what expected. For example, in modern linux distros, profiling works just fine with shared libraries attached to the program.

On Tue, 2 Mar 2021 at 15:56, Silas <silas_nblists%nocafe.net@localhost> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 01, 2021 at 10:42:56AM +1100, MJ wrote:

>On 1/03/2021 10:35 am, RVP wrote:
>>On FreeBSD-12.2 and OpenBSD-6.8 (both having Clang 10.0.1 as the native
>>compiler), the program segfaults even when not linked with any external
>>shared libs.
>>
>>It looks like profiling on the *BSDs needs static binaries (the
>>profile libraries, /usr/lib/*_p.a, are all static anyway).
>>
>>-RVP
>>

>That's correct and as expected. Gprof does not profile shared libraries.

I expected it to not produce the call graph for the shared libraries, but
segfaulting is rather strange, no?  I didn't find others reporting this, so I
started to think there is a problem with my environment, although I'm not using
LD* environment variable or anything related.  Should I file a PR?

Curious fact: I can profile (generate binary, run the program and use gprof) the
same program normally in NetBSD 8.0 armv7hf (Raspberry Pi 2).