Re: Graphics card and work around

I'm afraid I don't really have solidanswers, just speculation.

1) No idea unless you're using the VGA output via a DVI adapter in
which case the FirePro might happen to have better analog circuitry.
Digital should be just as sharp software or hardware rendered. Color
wise the V4900 might apply different filters though. If digital, could
have been a different resolution before and been upscaled? 'xrandr' on
the command line will tell you what mode you're in under X.

2) Not sure I understand what you're saying here, but I think you're
saying when you booted to Windows with the V4900 installed it used
lots of CPU initially when you started Firefox? I haven't used Windows
in a while but perhaps you were on the default fallback display driver
initially and Windows installed the AMD driver in the background for
you.

3) Yes, the drivers are a big deal for video cards especially. I'm not
an expert, but my understanding is that the GPU itself is actually
pretty malleable and the driver contains a lot of microcode that gets
loaded to define the way the hardware works, and that this is one
reason GPU vendors in particular are so resistant to helping out open
source drivers. The drivers actually contain a lot of their "secret
sauce" that they're trying to protect the recipe to.

James