Re: Firefox alternatives with JS : luakit?

On 23.11.2020 11:09, Sad Clouds wrote:
On Mon, 23 Nov 2020 06:24:17 +0100 (CET)
"Thomas Mueller" <mueller6725%twc.com@localhost> wrote:

from Sad Clouds:

> On Sun, 22 Nov 2020 16:29:27 +0530
> Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> wrote:

> > In the interim, would appreciate any feedback on luakit or other
> > alternatives (with JS support).

> x86 running Linux and Opera web browser. I gave up on Firefox years
> ago. Unfortunately Opera don't provide binaries for NetBSD, but you
> could try Linux emulation.

I use Otter browser, which is in pkgsrc, FreeBSD ports, and
haikuports.

One good feature is being able to fake the user-agent for sites like
Chase online banking that refuse to allow access if the user-agent is
not to their software's liking

Tom

I had stability issues with Otter browser, random crashes, etc. Same
thing happened with Firefox on sparc64. I just stick to x86 for desktop
applications, where sparc64 and arm are more for tinkering and server
applications.

The web technology used to be small and lean many years ago, but now
there is too much complexity and bloat. Because of this, it is becoming
a monoculture of a handful of browser engines - Blink and Gecko. Don't
even try to innovate, you'll be buried by the cost and complexity.
Which is why everybody is switching to Blink, whether they like it or
not.

Those new Apple M1 CPUs are very interesting. As a HW. For sure they will
improve situation on ARM field, but for Apple mostly :-) And in browsers
it will be like you describe and as I said, we are returning to 90's, this
time not with IE, but with Chrome