Re: utf-8, Englush, Japanese

nbsd4ever%gmail.com@localhost (Henry) writes:

>In other words I don't touch LC_ALL because there seem to be
>applications important to me that don't like it being set.

LC_ALL shouldn't be set in a profile, if you want a default for
the LC_* settings, use LANG.

>> What is current best practice for working with UTF-8 encoding?  I have
>> a project which requires editing of mixed English and Japanese text.
>> Setting LC_ALL to en_GB.UTF-8 cause the warning:
>>
>> Warning: locale not supported by C library, locale unchanged
>>
>> with every X-related command, but I do not know which C library.

That shouldn't happen. Which command produces this warning ?

>> Vim
>> fails to display Japanese characters in an xterm, but will if it  is
>> called via a uxterm, which seems to have no manpage for NetBSD.

uxterm is just a wrapper script around xterm. It tries to identify
a UTF-8 locale (in case you start it from non-UTF-8) and launches
xterm in utf-8 mode.

uxterm isn't necessary since xterm automatically starts in UTF-8 mode
if the locale (LANG, LC_CTYPE, LC_ALL) has been set. However, the
default setup of xdm doesn't configure locale, you need to arrange
the environment yourself to get this automatically.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost